This festival celebrates everything to do with outdoor painting with a range of workshops, paint outs, exhibitions, awards and prizes, demonstrations and artist talks in and around Mandurah.
Plein Air Down Under invites artists to join in the fun of the Peel Region's outdoor painting festival. Come and paint, or come and watch! Over $8,000 in cash and prizes is on offer for artists accepting the challenge of capturing the character and beauty of Mandurah and Pinjarra’s natural and built environment.
Artists will sign in at 9am on 25 September and paint outdoors in various locations around the Mandurah foreshore area (and Pinjarra townsite on the Sunday), across the three full days of the long weekend. This makes for a vibrant event for the public to wander amongst whilst enjoying the Mandurah foreshore areas and venues and the historic Pinjarra townsite.
- World Wide Paint Out: 11 & 12 September, Mandjar Square
- Featured Guest Artist Exhibition, Mandurah Performing Arts Centre
- Watercolour Masterclass, en plein, with feature artist Herman Pekel (3 days)
- Pastel Masterclass, en plein air, with feature artist Lyn Diefenbach (2 days)
- Oil Painting Masterclass, en plein air, with feature artist Leon Holmes (2 days)
Festival weekend activities include:
- Demonstrations by feature artists Herman Pekel, Lyn Diefenbach & Leon Holmes
- Day and evening paint outs
- Two-hour ‘Quick Draw’ painting competition
- A day painting in historical Pinjarra
- An exhibition of festival weekend artwork, continuing to 10 October
- Awards and prizes
What is Plein Air Painting?
En plein air is a French expression meaning "in the open air" and refers to the act of painting outdoors. The artist's subject is in full view, with no photographic reference. It allows the artist to paint a moment in time, in real time. Plein air artists capture the spirit and essence of a landscape or subject by incorporating natural light, colour and movement.
Image: Leon Holmes by Judith Rigter