In the evolving landscape of Perth, where the 'parmy and pint' (still a solid choice) used to dominate, intimate wine bars have emerged as hidden havens. Smaller, more laid-back, and deeply rooted in community spirit, they punch above their weight with chef-driven food and standout wine and cocktail offerings.
Nestled within the diverse neighbourhoods of Perth’s Inner City, this list of wine bars is your gateway to the essence of the city – a blend of great food, exceptional wine, vibrant people, and unbridled fun.
- Cherubino City Cellar: Find this hidden gem above Simon Johnson in Rokeby Road. Enjoy a moody, speakeasy vibe, adorned with art from Linton & Kay Galleries. Expect shared plates of fresh Italian eats like burrata and caponata and antipasto platters. The wine list, curated by master winemaker Larry Cherubino, features wine from the Margaret River and Great Southern regions.
- Lums Wine Bar: Named for Charles and Emily Lums, who ran a grocery store at the site from 1916, Lums has maintained its heritage charm, with the original jarrah floorboards and a timber-lined ceiling. There are over 60 wines to choose from, and whether you prefer marinated raw sardines or kangaroo with cherry blossom gel, you’ll find something surprising you’ll love to eat.
- Cosy Del’s: A beloved northern Italian-inspired spot on Lathlain Place, offering quality, seasonal produce, from cured meats to homemade pannacotta. A great neighbourhood find for a weekday bowl of pasta and a glass or two of wine. Come for a drink, stay for dinner and good chats!
- Vic Park Larder: In the heart of East Vic Park’s famous strip is Vic Park Larder, a casual European-style deli/bistro/café specialising in gourmet food, wine and coffee. The outdoor seating area is just begging for a sunny arvo lunch watching the world go by. The wine list includes a selection of boutique Italian wines.
- North Bird: A casual wine bar, wine store and restaurant, North Bird in Northbridge is a cosy, candle-lit venue with a rotating list of wines, craft beer and Australian spirits. The food also changes with the seasons, serving European flavours and local ingredients influenced with a twist of native Aussie ingredients. It’s perfect for a pre- or post-theatre wine and the famous cheese board.
- Copia: This community-driven city neighbourhood coffee and wine bar on St Georges Terrace ticks all the boxes day and night. By day, it’s artisan coffee and bites like Wagyu bresaola; by night the extensive international wine list is supported by a menu that includes a pastrami toastie or French caviar. Diverse and delicious!
- Nextdoor: A South Perth secret – but not for long! Nextdoor bar and kitchen in Angelo Street welcomes you to linger longer, either inside or outside. Cocktails, mocktails, a full wine list and a selection of tap or tin beers accompany an extensive and interesting menu where, depending on your appetite and the occasion, you can choose from snacks, bites, plates and shares. A quality butcher next door (sic) ensures the best quality cuts, including Wagyu rump and Angus ribeye.
- Henry M’s - Manning: Open from morning till late, Henry M’s in Manning delivers good vibes with a tempting menu and live music. It’s well worth the trip over the Swan. The wine list boasts drops from WA, the eastern states, USA, France, Italy and New Zealand, including a selection of Pet Nat wine. Join the locals for ‘2 for 1’ burger nights on Wednesday, a refined Sunday sundowner with live music, or a tasty weekday brunch. Mimosa time!
Leederville + Mt Hawthorn
- Sonnys Bar: Relaxed, inclusive, and open late, Sonny’s is one of a rising number of local wine bars in the Mt Hawthorn/Leederville neighbourhoods. Grab a seat outside under the umbrellas and shady gum tree and stay as long as you like. The diverse wine list includes a few left-field wines along with the faves, plus cocktails and local beers. There are mouth-watering snacks and small plates or go for the beef sirloin or Manjimup rainbow trout roasted in the wood-fire.
- Powells Fromagerie & Wine Bar: If the address isn’t enough to capture your attention -12 Electric Avenue in Leederville – the wine list and menu will. Wine and cheese … what’s not to love? Match house-made focaccia, cheesy arancini, cheesemaker’s choice cheese plates and freshly sliced charcuterie with a bottle of fine Australian wine or French fizz. Santé
Stellar wine lists, luxe food, great company, cool vibes. Perth’s Inner City is a treasure trove of exciting local wine bars – make it your mission to explore them all!